Tuesday 14 January 2014

Adventure Awaits !!!!



My next stop was Wat Pho (The Statue of Reclining Buddha), which is just adjacent to WAT ARUN with the entry charges of 100 bhats. I went around the place to have a glimpse of artistic establishments and saw myself sweaty after a long tiresome day. I got freshen up in one of the temple Rest Rooms, changed my clothes and again chose to view Wat Arun under lights. It offered a spectacular view; the lights were changing to blue, yellow and light pink, but was difficult to capture the view as there were lots of obstructions and even the lights were not favoring for a neat capture, had to shoot in bulb mode. To shoot in bulb mode one would need a steady hand and surface, finally made my way to enter one of the river side restaurant and was successful in capturing it. 

It was now the time to catch my Bus in Banglampoo Street which is nearly 2 Kms from Wat Pho. I chose to walk as it was already dark and the way was not at all confusing. I was already hungry, so again started my hunt for vegetarian food. Surprisingly didn’t find it tough in any streets passing by. I reached my travels counter and reported to dump my bag there. This place was just adjacent to Ko san road, the biggest backpackers area in Bangkok. I found an Indian restaurant CHILLEY’s and took a break for dinner. Though it offered both Veg & Non Veg food, I was happy to differentiate between them. I ordered Rotis, curry and Curd Rice and the supplier was shocked to see me eating so many things. I explained him my situation and he was surprised to know the fact that an Indian was out backpacking.

It was already 7:30 p.m., I had another hour to report to my travel counter, so walked into Ko san road which was a very busy road with the street shops and massage parlors. I went across searching the best massage parlor to have a relaxing Thai massage for half an hour. I found one and paid 120 Bhats for half an hour Thai Massage. Contrary to popular belief, you don’t have to strip for it as it’s a dry massage where the lady will work on your entire body, concentrating mainly on the body joints. I went through the fantastic day which gave me loads of memories about the places, people, culture, so headed back to the travel counter after a refreshing massage.

The guy took us to the different place where we were suppose to board our bus. I started talking to one of the guy named Anton who was along with his friend Bjorn. They were backpacking as well and came from Sweden. It’s surprising that we became so close in just a matter of few  hours time and started exchanging words about each other life styles, which gave me another new learning experience. We boarded Bus finally which came around 10:00 p.m. after being late by an hour; but time flew by and never was able to notice with the conversations took place between me Anton & Bjorn. The bus was a Semi Sleeper A/C, which was double Decker with toilets. Our journey went well apart from the uncomfortable leg spacing and we reached place called Chumphon by 5:00 a.m., which was a pie. It’s the place where we need to board into a speed boat to reach Ko Tao Islands. However, the boat was scheduled by 7:00 a.m. and we had two hours.  Again our conversations begin as we were very comfortable with each other now and were speaking in friends language.

There were some 100 odd people on the Pier waiting for the ferry departure to Ko Nang yuan and Ko Tao,  so the Pier was very lively. My new Swedish friends, pier, wind, slight pours, the sea, sunrise made the atmosphere scintillating, amazing moments of my life. We heard the voice from the travel desk for the check-in and we all boarded into the giant ferry. Me and Anton were able to relate it to the giant SUV hummer. It looked pretty much similar, the ferry was very spacious with double decker, a closed a/c lounge and on top an open lounge, one can choose based on their comfort levels and we choose the A/c One, and the ferry started. It was running at 60 km/hour I guess, and we were jumping all over our way as the waves were pretty big. Then Anton asked me to buy some Chips at the counter with Each costed 80 Bhats. We took three, but when we opened the packet, surprised to see more qty, so we ate all of them in no time as everyone was damn hungry. Both Anton and Bjorn chose not to talk as they felt Sea Sickness and puking sensations, then it started showing effect on all the people inside the Cabin, everyone was seeking for a polythene bag, and the cabin was stinking. So I chose to leave the cabin but as I closed the cabin door, I was unable to stand and needed to hold on to things.
 
The boat was at the maximum speed possible and water started splashing over me. Amazing feeling it was though and if you don’t hold on to anything you will literally fall into the sea. I went inside the cabin and chose to relax in my seat as big day was awaiting me. I had come all across to the island travelling around 600 odd KM’s just for my first scuba dive. Finally could see the green mountains and small human establishments on it which was a sign that we are nearing our island. Happy to reach the islands by 9:30 a.m., 2 hours sea ride finally ended. It was a joy ride, never experienced such a speed Ferry Ride ever.

Ko Tao – Ko Tao is the most serene and pristine island in Thailand located near the western shore of the Gulf of Thailand. It covers an area of about 21 km². Administratively it forms a tambon within the district Ko Pha Ngan of Surat Thani Province. Ko Tao means Turtle Island it was so named as many turtles existed during early ages and as usual humans were responsible for their extinct status now.

My Swedish mates had not booked their stay, so I invited them to join me to the hostel which I had booked for. They nodded in agreement and we took a Toyota Hilux who charged us 100 Bhats/pax. It was Costlier though for a 3 Km ride, but we had no other option as we all were hitting the place for the first time. The island was serene surrounded by lush greenery and we can see lots of Dive Centre’s on the way. We reached the Hostel Finally - SPICYTAO BACKPACKERS. It was a hut Shaped establishment surrounded by greenery which made the hostel look so adventurous. It gave us a feel of being in between the forest.

We were greeted by a beautiful lady Svetlana, who was basically a Russian but migrated and settled in Thailand with a cute daughter and handsome husband. She took my belongings and while checking the same, was surprised to see an Indian passport. She expressed her happiness to see an Indian on her hostel for the first time. This shows how much we Indians restrict ourselves from exploring places. We always derive Thailand with Bangkok and Phathaya which are known for its flesh market, that’s the reason I mentioned about backpacking and meeting different people which will make us to explore places rather than seeing regular places and takes us beyond Bangkok and Phathaya.


I confirmed my booking checking a bed even for my Swedish mates, luckily I got dorms for them as well. So we chose to stay in one room with 4 dorms. The reception was very comfortable and you can see a open hall with TV, benches, chairs, audio system. The atmosphere was just amazing, we were lucky to get some brown breads and coffee at the kitchen which was just besides the reception. However,  we still didn’t get our dorms as people were still sleeping inside and I had to report to the diving centre (ROCTOPUS, which was suggested by Svetlana – The Spicytao Lady) by 11:30 a.m. She was the one who helped to confirm my booking for the dive as well, I owe her lot many things, so we relaxed for a while and I was the only one in hurry as I had only a day to spend on that splendid island unlike my Swedish friends who had a week to explore this island. 


I changed my clothes and chose to move towards my dive centre which was nearby my hostel. Although Lana gave me proper directions to the centre, I missed my way and had to ask few more locals to reach the Dive Centre. On reaching there, I was greeted by a guy named Mark Westwood who owns this Dive Centre, he was friendly enough and we were quick to complete the money affairs, then he introduced me to one of the Instructor named Tyron Coomer who was basically from  South Africa. He  was a very friendly guy and passed me through all the guidelines and after completing few paper works. He next asked me to fill my tummy a bit so that we can go for the dive. I asked him where can I find descent Veg Food, His answers were not in favor though, but he suggested to have something from opposite CafĂ©. It started raining heavily, and my mind started wondering about the dive. Many questions raised, how can we dive in rain? Whether it will be canceled? And I don’t have an extra day? If they allow diving, will the water remain transparent, I let thoughts tickling my mind.


------
Shravan

1 comment:

  1. Bahut sahi hai yaar....and it's too good u jot down ur experience. This will live ur memories life long.

    ReplyDelete